If we are serious about being a Christian, we know that our lives are saved through the gift of grace, and although God asks for nothing in return, it is right to share all that He has given to us with others.
We have been commissioned by God to be a good stewards. We are to give our time and talents, and importantly, to give generously financially. These three actions are collectively known as "Stewardship"
What is Stewardship?- Click HERE to understand what it means to be a Christian at St Bart's & St Anne's, starting with Time & Talents.
How much money should I give?
The Church of England (and all Christian churches) suggest that giving 10% of NET Income is a good place to start.
With 5% to go directly through and to your church and 5% to other causes and organisations that build God’s kingdom.
Giving 10% to God, leaves the remaining 90% for you to steward wisely.
(A Standing order Form can be picked up from the back of Church)
The Table below provides a rough guide to help you work out your "take home pay" from your gross annual wage. It shows various weekly amounts that can be considered for you to give to the Church based on your spending money. (5% is an obtainable realistic figure)
Either work it out individually or as a couple by adding Gross Wages together to get a "Household income"
You can accurately work out your own "money in your pocket" figure here- Income Tax Calculator
Take Home pay
|£20,000|| £1,397 cash||£3||£6||£10||£13||£16|
Frequently Asked Questions:
1 ) Should giving be from Gross or Net Income? The most important element to stress is that there is no ‘right’ answer. It is important to set our giving at a level that is generous, rather than one that ‘fulfils the law’. We might note, that if we give from after-tax income, and give through Gift Aid, the end result is that the tax is added back in.
2 ) Should those in debt give? The answer to this depends on what we mean by ‘debt’. Many people will have structured, manageable debts such as a mortgage or a student loan. These debts should not prevent us from giving generously from our income. However, when debt becomes unmanageable, and it is spiralling out of control, we would suggest that giving is inappropriate. At this point we are living on money which is borrowed, not our own. Rather, it is suggested that the priority is to take action over our finances and to make a token offering as a pledge to return to a higher level of giving once finances are under control.
3 ) Should all 10% go to the Church? No. Our giving to God can go through a range of channels. The Church of England’s policy is to encourage its members to give 5% of their income to and through the Church, and a second 5% to other causes and organisations that build God’s kingdom. St Bart's and St Anne's give 10% of all donations to charities and good causes.
4 ) How do I know if 5% is right for me? Look at what is left. If your lifestyle is very comfortable, and you are able to afford lots of ‘extras’, then you might consider increasing your level of giving. If you are sincerely trying to give 5% , but find that you just cannot afford it and your generosity is causing family members to suffer, or you feel uncomfortable giving at a current percentage, then consider reducing your level of giving a percentage or two. Jesus spoke against the Pharisees' practice of consecrating their possessions to God while their parents were in need. (Matt. 15:5-6,)
5 ) What about when things get tough? A sudden change in circumstances will naturally force a review of your finances. It may be that you need to reduce your level of giving for a while. The acid test is whether all aspects of your lifestyle are being affected - giving shouldn’t be the soft option to cut back. It is important to avoid the trap of legalism - reducing a level of giving to 4%, 3% or 2% for a while may be the right thing to do.
Common myths about Giving: